- Don’t act distracted during a date. Turn off your cell phone and keep your eyes from wandering. Nothing will show a greater lack of interest on your part than fielding phone calls and checking out the waitstaff.
- Don’t turn your date into a therapy session. Avoid subjects like your ex, your bad relationship with your mother or your growing sense of insecurity over the strange growth you’ve discovered on your back.
- Don’t be pretentious. Nobody is perfect and nothing is more annoying than someone who acts like they are.
- Don’t agree for the sake of agreeing. It’s important to stand your ground and let your date know where you stand on certain topics. The point is getting to know one another. Most people enjoy intellectual argument, as long as you avoid insulting your date’s intelligence.
- Don’t try to make any uninvited physical advances. There are so many different opinions on what is acceptable, physically, on a date. Cara, 29, holds the opinion that if there is chemistry, the physical aspects of a relationship will fall into place. “Nothing is worse than a first date who is way too into PDA (public displays of affection). It’s sort of like they are staking their claim, which is a major turn-off.”
- Don’t consume large amounts of alcohol. In one of his early movies, Arnold Schwarzenegger told his drunken wife: “You should not drink and bake.” Well, the same holds true for dating: You should not drink and date. Athough the reasons for this are pretty obvious, it’s a trap many people fall into and it has ruined many a person’s chances for a second date.
- Don’t be afraid to end the date early. If things aren’t working out or you are uncomfortable, feel free to end the date at any time.